WHAT IS AN UNDERBITE, & How Can Invisalign Help?
An underbite is incorrect positioning of your teeth that occurs with the lower teeth are resting in front of upper teeth when the mouth is closed. The most common reason for this is the displaced or too far forward-positioned lower jaw.
WHY SHOULD YOU FIX AN UNDERBITE?
Correction of an underbite is crucial as it deters from proper biting and chewing, affects speech, rapidly wears off the tooth structure and can result in TMJ disorders.
DOES INVISALIGN FIX AN UNDERBITE?
Invisalign aligners can fix mild cases of underbites. Depending on the complexity and severity of the problem, few cases of underbites can not be corrected by Invisalign alone and might require additional treatment options including surgery, to correct the jaw positioning.
At the initial consultation, your dentist/orthodontist will evaluate and conduct a dental examination. An intraoral digital scan is done to capture images. These images are then used for treatment planning and are sent for the fabrication of your customized, clear Invisalign aligners.
Each set of clear Invisalign aligners consists of clear trays that are worn for 2 weeks each, after which they are replaced by the next tray. Each tray will be gradually correcting the tooth positioning during the time they are worn. The aligners are to be worn for up to 22 hours each day and can be removed while eating, drinking or for cleaning
HOW LONG DOES INVISALIGN TAKE FOR UNDERBITE?
The treatment time for Invisalign depends upon the severity of the problem or combination of problems to be corrected and the time they are worn daily.
Mild cases of underbite cases could take about three to four months, while moderate to severe underbites can take up to 12 months.
BENEFITS OF USING INVISALIGN FOR UNDERBITE
Invisalign is a patient-friendly treatment option and a viable alternative to traditional metal braces. Some of the advantages that Invisalign offers over other forms of treatment are
- Invisibility: Clear aligners are not noticeable. Due to the absence of any metal wires, metallic components and elastics, aligners are hardly visible. It is an excellent option for people wanting treatment with minimal appearance.
- Comfort: The clear aligners are customized according to your treatment needs, so they have an accurate fit without any discomfort.
- Oral hygiene maintenance: Clear aligners can be easily removed by the patient to clean their teeth, allowing improved oral hygiene.
- Efficient: With the3D scans that are taken before the treatment starts, the dentist can easily demonstrate and explain the treatment which allows the patient to visualize the final result. With a set of sequenced trays provided, the patient can change the trays every 2 weeks and have to visit the dentist for tracking the treatment progress after short time intervals.
- Dietary freedom: Unlike braces where there is a dietary restriction for certain foods that can get stuck in the braces or debond them, patients with Invisalign have full freedom to enjoy different types of foods and do a thorough cleaning after they are done.
- Enhanced self-confidence: Invisalign offers an esthetic smile solution that improves your social life and confidence.